Tuesday 9 February 2010

Find your purpose step 2. What are you holding on to?

One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time. Andre Gide
To get to where you want to be you have to let go of where you've been. It's happened, it's over, move forward. I spend most of my life facing backwards. Spending far too much time thinking about old relationships and events. Why do we do it? Is it fear of the unknown? Is it easier to hold on to something old than to face something now?
I thought my purpose in life was to be a photographer. I have spent thousands of dollars on developing my skill and years of studying my craft. Even though I have come to the realisation that it isn't my purpose I seem unable to let it go. It's hard to let go, especially when you have invested so much of yourself into something. Do it, you know it's not the right thing and the thing is, you can always come back to it!

Homework what are you holding onto? do you start every story with 'one time when I was...' Do you spend too much time pining over old relationships/friendships? Are you working harder and harder at making something fulfilling that just isn't and never will be. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. A friend so eloquently put it to me once that 'you'll never make gold if you keep working with sh#t'



No comments:

Post a Comment