Wednesday 17 February 2010

The key to exercise..

When it comes to exercise don't do anything other than what you love or you just won't do it. There are so many forms of exercise that it's pointless to do something that you don't enjoy. It seems obvious but so many people spend alot of money to join a gym and then never go. I love yoga. It makes me feel good while i'm doing it. I don't like running, it always makes me feel overtired and sore. During yoga I feel strong and fantastic. I love riding my bike along the canals of Bruges, but to me riding an exercise bike is boring. I did by an exercise bike once and could count on one hand the times I really used it. If you're going to spend such a large proportion of your life exercising it needs to be something you look forward to.

Having spent the last two years living in Belgium I have also discovered that it's not the intensity of the exercise, it's the consistency. There are a couple of gyms in Bruges, but here people walk, ride bikes, take the stairs etc. I love seeing seventy year old couples out riding their bikes together.

Share exercise with a loved one. Play ball with your kids in the park. Volunteer for puppy walking at your local animal shelter. Join a rowing club, take up belly dancing, salsa classes, rollerskating, learn a martial art. Most importantly make it fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment